Current Milwaukee residents may recognize this monument, though the two cast iron cannons that originally flanked the statue are missing. The monument sits in Koscuisko Park on Milwaukee’s’ Old South Side and honors Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish hero from the Revolutionary War.
What happened to the cannons? Research reveals that they were disassembled and melted down to supply armaments for the war effort in 1943. It seems fitting that even as late as World War II, the spirit of Kosciuszko was still fighting for the United States.